Dialysis performs the function of the kidneys if they failed. The kidneys filter your blood by removing waste and excess fluid from your body. This waste is sent to the bladder to be eliminated when you urinate. It is a treatment that filters and purifies the blood using a machine. This helps keep your fluids and electrolytes in balance when the kidneys can’t do their job. Dialysis has been used since the 1940s to treat people with kidney problems.
When your kidneys can’t perform these functions due to disease or injury, It can help keep the body running as normally as possible. Without this process, Salt and other waste products will accumulate in the blood, poison the body, and damage other organs.
Advantages of Dialysis
- It can be carried out even at home.
- Peritoneal dialysis is a comfortable method, That is easy to use.
- The equipment used in peritoneal dialysis is less bulky and easy to carry along with the patient.
- Hemodialysis is not be carried out every day.
Types of Dialysis
- Hemodialysis: It is the most common type of dialysis. This process uses an artificial kidney (hemodialyzer) to remove waste and extra fluid from the blood. The blood is removed from the body and filtered through the artificial kidney. The filtered blood is then returned to the body with the help of a dialysis machine. It usually lasts three to five hours and is performed three times per week. The length of treatment depends on your body size, the amount of waste in your body, and the current state of your health.
- Peritoneal Dialysis: It involves surgery to implant a peritoneal dialysis catheter into your abdomen. The catheter helps filter your blood through the peritoneum, a membrane in your abdomen. During treatment, a special fluid called dialysate flows into the peritoneum. The dialysate absorbs waste. Once the dialysate draws waste out of the bloodstream, it’s drained from your abdomen. This process takes a few hours and needs to be repeated four to six times per day. However, the exchange of fluids can be performed while you’re sleeping or awake.