The computer is the most powerful machine in today’s world. It has become a need in everyone’s life. A computer can perform a task very quickly and accurately. The Computer has its features and characteristics. These are the Characteristics of Computer.
Characteristics of Computer
- Speed: The computer can work very fast. It takes only a few seconds for calculations that we take hours to complete. You will be surprised to know that the computer can perform millions (1,000,000) of instructions and even more per second. Its speed is measured in terms of MHZ (MegaHertz) and GMZ (Giga Hertz).
- Accuracy: The degree of accuracy of the computer is very high and every calculation is performed with the same accuracy. The accuracy level is determined based on the design of the computer. The errors in the computer are due to human and inaccurate data.
- Storage: The computer has a mass storage section where we can store a large volume of data for future use. Such data are easily accessible when needed. Magnetic disk, magnetic tape, and optical disk are used as mass storage devices. The storage capacity of the computer is measured in terms of Kilobyte (KB), Megabyte (MB), Gigabyte (GB), and Terabyte (TB).
- Diligence: A computer is free from tiredness, lack of concentration, fatigue, etc. It can work for hours without creating any error. If millions of calculations are to be performed, a computer will perform every calculation with the same accuracy. Due to this capability, it overpowers human being in a routine type of work.
- Versatility: It means the capacity to perform a completely different type of work. You may use your computer to prepare payroll slips. Next moment you may use it for inventory management or to prepare electric bills.
- . No Feeling: It does not have feelings or emotions, taste, knowledge, and experience. Thus it does not get tired even after long hours of work. It does not distinguish between users.
Advantages of Computers
- High Speed: The computer is a very fast device. It is capable of performing calculations of a very large amount of data.
- Storage Capability: A computer has much more storage capacity than human beings. It can store large amounts of data. It can store any type of data such as images, videos, text, audio, etc.
- Reduction in Paper Work and Cost: The use of computers for data processing in an organization leads to a reduction in paperwork and results in speeding up the process.
- Accuracy: computers are very accurate. The calculations are 100% error-free. Computers perform all jobs with 100% accuracy provided that the input is correct.
Disadvantages of Computers
- Dependence: It functions as per the user’s instruction, thus it is fully dependent on humans.
- Environment: The operating environment of the computer should be dust-free and suitable.
- No Feeling: Computers have no feelings or emotions. It cannot make a judgment based on feeling, taste, experience, and knowledge unlike humans.