Animals extinction may be caused by natural occurrences such as global warming or cooling or changes in sea levels. In more modern times, however, human activity has been to blame. Habitat destruction as farming land expands and forests are cut down is the main cause of modern extinctions, along with pollution, the introduction of alien species, and overfishing or hunting. Increasingly, however, climate change is thought to be driving extinctions.
List of Animals Extinction of India
- Indian aurochs
- Pink-headed duck
- Sunderban dwarf rhinoceros
- Northern Sumatran rhinoceros
- Asiatic cheetah
Extinct Animals With Names
- Dodo: It is a flightless bird native to Mauritius whose population began dwindling and eventually became extinct over the short course of a century when sailors began arriving on the East African island nation. Cause of Extinction: popular belief has sailors hunting and eating the Dodo to the point of extinction, but it’s more likely that the rats the sailors brought with them caused the Dodo’s decline. The BBC reports that rats likely ate Dodo eggs and other animals outcompeted the bird for food sources.
- Passenger Pigeon: Cause of Extinction Humans hunted the pigeon and consumed it to the point of extinction with the last known bird dying in captivity in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914.
- Yangtze River Dolphin: Also known as ‘baiji,’ the Yangtze River dolphin was last seen in 2002. Four years later, a group of researchers traversed 2,000 miles of the Yangtze River to see if they could find one but to no avail. According to the Whale and Dolphin Conservation group (WDC), the baiji is the first dolphin species to become extinct due to humans. Cause of Extinction: Overfishing, pollution, loss of habitat, poaching, and boat traffic.
- The Quagga: Quagga’s were interesting in appearance quite literally looking the mashup between two animals—a zebra in the front thanks to the famous zebra stripes adorning this part of its body, and a horse in the rear due to the lack of stripes in this area. Cause of Extinction: humans hunted the quagga to extinction.
- The Golden Toad: Cause of Extinction: Pollution, global warming, and chytrid skin infections led to the extinction of this species.
- Zanzibar Leopard
- Pinta Island Tortoise:
- Saber-toothed Cat:
- Woolly Mammoth
- Great Auk
- Stellers Sea Cow
- Tasmanian Tiger