With advances in technology, telecommunications have become quicker and more reliable compared with other means of communication. A modern hotel operating without a telephone is impossible to imagine. Today’s hotels need to be instantly contactable to do business. The telephone is indispensable in the context of a modern business when speed and personal contact are so important.
There are many different types of telephones and systems ranging from a single line connecting directly from the public exchange to the subscriber’s instrument, to a complete PABX (Private Automatic Branch Exchange) system. In a business situation, where there are many users, it is necessary to have system that can expand to meet the needs of the business. Because communication is so important to the hotel business they will normally have multiple lines and multiple instruments or extensions.
Knowing how to operate the telephone system in your hotel will assist you in carrying out your reception duties effectively and efficiently. When dealing with people on the telephone, it is important that you remember that:
- The caller cannot see you
- The cannot be sure he/she has been connected to the correct number
- Verbal communication can be misheard
- The caller has a need and a reason for calling
- You may be the first contact the caller has with your hotel
- You represent your hotel
- The caller is being charged for the call
For the above reasons good telephone skills are extremely important. The correct procedure for answering calls must therefore be strictly adhered to. The first priority is to answer all calls promptly. Remember that incoming calls might be potential customers. If you don’t answer promptly, the caller may ring off and try another hotel. Try to answer all call calls before the third ring.
The golden rules for good telephone techniques can be summarized as follows:
- Always answer with a greeting – good morning, good afternoon etc.,
- Always identify your company – thank you for calling the Taj Hotel
- Identify yourself – this is Krishna speaking
- Question the callers need – How may I be of assistance?
Good Morning, thank you for calling Taj Hotel. This is Krishna speaking. How may I help you?
When speaking on telephone you must be realize that the caller will get an image of your hotel even though he is not able to see you face to face. You must therefore:
- Be polite and helpful
- Speak clearly and slowly
- Not use technical or unfamiliar words
- Listen attentively
- Ascertain the caller’s name and use it
- Make notes if necessary
- Inform the caller what action you propose to take
- Take the action you have promised
Some other tasks should follow above qualities in Transferring Calls, holding Calls, taking messages, making outgoing calls.