A leader is a person who influences others, Everybody can be a leader, but all cannot be effective leaders, as effective leaders have the extra ingredients that not every leader possesses. A leader’s most important role is to provide clear and compelling direction. Leaders ensure that all followers understand, embrace, and work toward achieving those objectives. And they provide momentum, sharing and celebrating progress toward achieving company goals, setting new targets, and providing needed resources. Effective leaders are useful to the growth of an organization. Effective leaders must have some characteristics and qualities.
Qualities of Leader
- Physical appearance: A leader must have a pleasing appearance. Physique and health are very important for a good leader.
- Vision and foresight: A leader cannot maintain influence unless he exhibits that he is forward-looking. He has to visualize situations and thereby has to frame logical programs.
- Competency: People want to follow someone who is competent. A leader should possess a thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of the job; they should be familiar with the jobs done at different points in the department.
- Intelligence: He should be intelligent enough to examine problems and difficult situations. He should be analytical who weigh pros and cons and then summarizes the situation. Therefore, a positive bent of mind and a mature outlook is very important.
- Communicative skills: A leader must be able to communicate the policies and procedures clearly, precisely, and effectively. This can be helpful in persuasion and stimulation.
- Objective: A leader has to be having a fair outlook that is free from bias and which does not reflects his willingness towards a particular individual. He should develop his own opinion and should base his judgment on facts and logic.
- Knowledge of work: A leader should be very precise in knowing the nature of the work of his subordinates because it is then he can win the trust and confidence of his subordinates.
- Sense of responsibility: A leader must have a sense of responsibility towards organizational goals because only then he can get the maximum of capabilities exploited in a real sense. For this, he has to motivate himself and arouse and urge to give the best of his abilities. Only then he can motivate the subordinates to the best.
- Self-confidence: Confidence in himself is important to earn the confidence of the subordinates. He should be trustworthy and should handle the situations with full will power.
- Humanist: This trait to be present in a leader is essential because he deals with human beings and is in personal contact with them. He has to handle the personal problems of his subordinates with great care and attention. Therefore, treating human beings on humanitarian grounds is essential for building a congenial environment.
- Empathy: This is very important because fair judgment and objectivity come only then. A leader should understand the problems and complaints of employees and should also have a complete view of the needs and aspirations of the employees. This helps in improving human relations and personal contacts with the employees.