A rectangle is a 2D shape, having 4 sides and 4 corners. Its two meet at. Thus, It has 4, each measuring 90 ̊. The opposite sides of a rectangle have the same lengths and are parallel. Two sides are said to be parallel when the distance between them remains the same at all points.
It is a type of quadrilateral that has its parallel sides equal to each other and all the four vertices are equal to 90 degrees. Hence, it is also called an equiangular quadrilateral. Since, the opposite sides are equal and parallel, in a rectangle, therefore, it can also be termed as a parallelogram.
Properties of Rectangle
- It has four sides and four vertices
- Each vertex has an angle equal to 90 degrees
- The opposite sides are equal and parallel
- Diagonals bisect each other
- Perimeter is equal to twice of sum of its length and breadth
- The area is equal to the product of its length and breadth
- It’s a parallelogram with four right angles.
- Sum of all interior angles equal to 360 degrees
The perimeter of a Rectangle
The perimeter is defined as the total distance covered by the outer boundary of the rectangle. It is measured in unit length. The formula of the perimeter is given by:
Perimeter, P = 2 (Length + Width)
Area of Rectangle
The area is the region covered by a two-dimensional shape in a plane. It is measured in square units. Therefore, the area of the rectangle is the area covered by its outer boundaries. It is equal to the product of length and width.
The formula of the area: