Abiotic Factors or abiotic components are non-living chemical and physical parts of the environment that affect living organisms and the functioning of the ecosystem. These components may differ from region to region, from ecosystem to ecosystem. They determine and restrict the population growth, number, and diversity of biotic factors living in that ecosystem. The term abiotic comes from the root parts a meaning without, and bio meaning life. The living parts of an ecosystem are called biotic factors.
Examples of Abiotic Factors
Abiotic factors make up much of the variation seen between different ecosystems. By determining the availability of essential resources such as sunlight, water, oxygen, and minerals, abiotic factors influence which organisms can survive in a given place.
- Temperature and Light: The temperature of the air and the water affect the animals, plants, and humans in nature. A rise in temperature is capable of changing the way a living thing develops. This is because it changes the metabolic rate of organisms. All plants need temperature for the process of Photosynthesis.
- Water: Water is essential for each n every living thing. On the other hand, every living organism has a different amount of the requirement.
- Atmosphere: The atmosphere sustains life on earth. Animals and other living creatures breathe oxygen or they filter it from the water. Whereas the plants grow with the help of the presence of carbon dioxide. Living things combine the oxygen and the carbon as a result, they make carbohydrates.
- Chemical Elements: Chemical elements act within the environment to impact what kind of category of the organisms can grow or thrive in that region. The chemical composition that includes the acidity level has a large impact on the plants in the region. However, the chemical elements make all the matter.
- Wind: The wind speed and the directions also affect the temperature and the humidity as well, in a particular area. Wind also helps in carrying seeds and aids pollination, as a result, spreading life. This lets plants forms move out of an area.