Respiratory system disorders or respiratory diseases are the medical terms used to study the various types of infections, allergies, and other diseases related to the different organs, tissues, and specialized cells of the human respiratory system. The respiratory system mainly consists of the upper respiratory tract, alveoli, bronchi, bronchioles, trachea, pleura, and pleural cavity. The common cold is an example of a mild respiratory disorder and other serious and life-threatening respiratory disorders include pneumonia, lung cancer, and asthma, influenza, tuberculosis, etc.
Factors Affecting Respiratory System Disorders
A few of these factors include:
Following are the major respiratory disorders or diseases:
- Asthma: Asthma is a chronic disease that affects the bronchi and bronchioles of the lungs. It causes difficulty breathing, followed by severe cough, restlessness, cough, and a wheezing sound while breathing.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: This includes all the respiratory diseases that cause breathlessness or the inability to exhale. It largely affects people who have been exposed to some sort of smoke. It is a very serious disease and worsens even if you stop smoking.
- Emphysema: Emphysema is defined as a chronic disease, reduction of the respiratory surface due to the damage to the lung alveolar walls. It is caused mainly by cigarette smoking. The main symptoms of emphysema include shortness of breath and cough. Emphysema might lead to a loss of elasticity of the lungs.
- Occupational Respiratory Disorders: This disorder affects the respiratory system through long-term inhalation of chemicals, proteins, and dust. For instance, Asbestosis is caused by the inhalation of asbestos dust.
- Sinusitis: It is the inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nasal sinus. The mucous membranes produce mucus that drains into the nasal cavities. Bacterial or viral infections or some airborne allergens cause the inflammation of the mucous membranes.
- Lung Cancer: It can develop in any part of the lungs. It occurs in the main part of the lungs. The treatment of lung cancer depends upon the type, location, and spread.