Alt+F4 is a keyboard shortcut most often used to close the currently active window. If you want to close a tab or window open in a program, but not close the complete program, use the Ctrl+F4 keyboard shortcut.
How to use the Alt+F4 keyboard shortcut
To use this keyboard shortcut, press and hold either Alt key, and while continuing to hold, press F4.
Alt+F4 in Microsoft Windows
While running any program in Microsoft Windows, if Alt+F4 is pressed, a command is issued to the computer to close the currently active program. If no programs are open or you are at the desktop, pressing Alt+F4 opens the Shutdown window.
Reasons for AltF4 Not Working
When they try to use Alt F4 keys simultaneously on Windows 10, the action of closing the current active window is not getting activated.
Check out the below reasons and possible solutions:
- Never download any third-party tool or app that claims to troubleshoot your issues since such issues do not require a third-party app to function properly. Try focusing on other options as it might turn out to be more helpful and could solve your issue.
- Check if the Fn key is active and try pressing Alt + Fn + F4 to see if the active windows get closed or not. This should work in most cases, otherwise, go to the next option.
- During or after a recent update to your keyboard drivers or your operating system, the windows have set the use of this combination to default turned off and that might have not closed the windows. You will have to edit the registry key or create new ones to resolve the issue.
- If you have pressed the Shift key several times then that would have activated the sticky keys which will have to be turned off to go back to default settings.
- You can update the drivers by selecting the keyboard device in the device manager option and rebooting your computer after the update. Check if the Alt F4 is working or not. If the alt F4 doesn’t work then it might have happened that these driver files would have got corrupted. The next solution would be to reinstall the device drivers.
- Try checking if the Alt F4 is working properly or not.
- Windows 10 comes with a host of pre-installed app and services and the inbuilt troubleshoot program can help find out issues with these programs. You can open settings and look for a troubleshoot keyboard. The onscreen directions will help you resolve the issue.