Input devices are use full for giving input to the computer. These play a vital role in the data transferring and getting Expected output. The following are the important input devices let us discuss all devices.
1.Mouse: Mouse has two buttons called the left and the right button and a wheel is present between the buttons. A mouse can be used to control the position of the cursor on the screen.
2. Keyboard: It helps to input data into the computer. The layout of the keyboard is like that of a traditional typewriter, although there are some additional keys provided for performing additional functions. There are several keys on the keyboard each category has its own feature.
- Typing Keys
These keys include the letter keys (A-Z) and digit keys (09) which generally give the same layout as that of typewriters.
- Numeric Keypad
It is used to enter the numeric data or cursor movement. Generally, it consists of a set of 17 keys that are laid out in the same configuration used by most adding machines and calculators.
- Function Keys
The twelve function keys are present on the keyboard which are arranged in a row at the top of the keyboard. These provide instructions to the computer to perform specific tasks. The most common is the F1 key, which opens a “Help” screen in most programs. The other function keys are not used very often.
- Special Purpose Keys
Keyboard also contains some special purpose keys such as Enter, Shift, Caps Lock, Num Lock, Spacebar, Tab, and Print Screen.
- Control keys
These keys provide cursor and screen control. It includes four directional arrow keys. Control keys also include Home, End, Insert, Delete, Page Up, Page Down, Control(Ctrl), Alternate(Alt), Escape(Esc).
3. Joystick: Joystick is also a pointing device, which is used to move the cursor position on a monitor screen. It is a stick having a spherical ball at both lower and upper ends. The lower spherical ball moves in a socket. The joystick can be moved in all four directions.
4. Scanner: Scanner captures images from the source which are then converted into a digital form that can be stored on the disk. These images can be edited before they are printed.
5. Microphone: It is an input device to input sound that is then stored in a digital form. The microphone is used for various applications such as adding sound to a multimedia presentation or for mixing music.
6. Bar Code Reader: Bar Code Reader scans a bar code image, converts it into an alphanumeric value, which is then fed to the computer that the barcode reader is connected to Light Pen, Track Ball, Optical Character Reader (OCR), Optical Mark Reader (OMR)